Taxation, Estate Planning, Real Estate Tax Credits and Syndication.
David Kohen began practicing as a tax attorney in 1976 with the Baltimore law firm of Piper & Marbury, now known as DLA Piper. Since then, David has had a variety of in-house positions and now practices as a sole practioner. David's legal experience includes:
· Estate Planning, including wills, credit shelter trusts, inter vivos revocable trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts with "Crummey" provisions, family limited partnerships.
· Taxation, including IRS appeal, subchapter K partnership taxation, § 1031 tax free exchanges, § 42 low income housing tax credit, § 47 historic tax credit, § 163(d) investment interest deduction, § 501(c)(3) tax exempt orgs.
· Real Estate, including affordable housing programs, syndications, loan workouts, bankruptcy issues.
· Business Planning, including corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability companies, private placements.
· Commercial, including collection litigation, fraudulent conveyance issues.
David now actively practices in Massachusetts but, in the past, has been admitted to practice in several jurisdictions and courts:
David has a Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree in Taxation from New York University School of Law. He also has a finance degree from the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce of the University of Pennsylvania and a Juris Doctor degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo, Faculty of Law and Jurisprudence.
David has served as an officer and director of numerous non-profit organizations and now serves on the Finance Committee of 2Life Communities, a developer of affordable housing. David has also been a tutor in the Boston public schools for the Greater Boston Coalition for Literacy and a participant in the Inner City Task Force sponsored by the Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency.
David is a member of the Taxation and Probate Law Sections of the Massachusetts Bar Association and a participant in the Lawyer's Council of the Newton Needham Regional Chamber.
Companies founded by David have developed, owned and managed numerous multifamily properties with approximately $25,000,000 of mortgage financing and $37,500,000 of federal Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC).
David has also:
• Structured, negotiated and raised equity capital for 40 additional real estate developments located all over the U.S. These properties were developed by various unrelated companies and involved both conventional financing and a wide variety of state and federal assistance programs, including tax credits for historic rehabilitation (HTC).
• Founded and ran numerous successful enterprises.
• Diverse experience in all facets of the investment real estate industry.
• Structured, negotiated and evaluated many complex transactions.
• Worked out loan problems and restructured loans from both the debtor and creditor sides.
• Evaluated and purchased distressed debt from financial institutions.
• Hired and supervised numerous outside law firms and other professionals.